Tuesday, May 4, 2010

February, March, April

Right after February vacation I had the "BAC blanc"

which is a practice for the real "BAC" at the end of the year. It's a lot of work looking over notes and refreshing my memory over everything we've learned since September. It's especially difficult when I try reading my notes from September, October, November, because my French wasn't very good in the beginning. Luckily I have improved a lot and my notes taken later in the year are much easier to read.

March was not too eventful, going to school and doing homework, and otherwise not too much else. I have a couple friends who wore green for St. Patrick's Day, but otherwise the French don't celebrate it, or really know what it is.

April 1st - poisson d'avril!

April fool's day exists here, but it's a little different.
People go around putting paper cut-outs of fish on the backs of people. The point is for the other person not to realize and go around with a fish on their back the whole day.

Easter is more or less the same here. They seem to have the same traditions, like the easter bunny bringing chocolate, and searching for eggs in the yard. Although we didn't search for eggs because it was raining out.

April vacation!
I was very lucky and got to spend a week in Paris and the following week at the Ciotat, which is near Marseille in the south of France.

I was with another AFSer, Angelina, which was great because visiting a new place with someone else is a lot more interesting than by myself.
We visited:

> The George Pompidou Center (modern art museum)
> The Louvre
> The Notre Dame
> The Trocadera / Eiffel Tower
> Concorde Place
> The Place of the Bastille
> Verseille
> The Garden of Luxembourg
> The Défense
> The Moulin Rouge
> Montmartre
> The Catacombs
> The National Library of France
> The "Invalides"

and otherwise we walked around different places in Paris.

for the second week we were often at various little beaches. It is so beautiful in the south of France. The mediterranean sea is so beautiful. The water is a shade of aquamarine. It looked so inviting, but the water was quite cold. I went swimming one time, but didn't stay in for long.

Another amazing vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment